Skip to main content

Medieval manuscript

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030068195]
Identifier: MS-0528
Collection consists of a medieval manuscript granting half a farm, originating from France, dated July 22, 1359. The property is granted by Steue Decalmelas, inhabitant of the castle of Caylus.

Dates

  • 1359 July 22

Language of Materials

In 14th century Latin longhand.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

0.167 Cubic Feet (1 sheet)

Biographical Note

The manuscript is attributed to Steue Decalmelas, inhabitant of the castle of Caylus.

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of a medieval manuscript granting half a farm, originating from France, dated July 22, 1359. The property is granted by Steue Decalmelas, inhabitant of the castle of Caylus.

Dealer description: "Sale by Steue decalmelas, inhabitant of the castle of Caylus, to Piere dalias and Galhart decalmelas, inhabitants of the castle of Caylus, of half a farm in the territory of puegginibros, in the fee of Ramon at, lord, and of the hospital of S. Johan [St. John] belonging to the house of the capela." The hospital was probably operated by the Knights of Malta, the oldest order of chivalry in the world, still in existence. In Latin. About 6 -1/4 x 1 2 inches, oblong. Dramatic signum (signature).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The manuscript was purchased from Cohasco, Inc. on February 3, 2006.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Kelly Spring on 4 January 2010.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA