Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 30
Overview Alfred Jack Thomas was an African-American composer, educator, and conductor who served as a bandmaster in the United States Army and became the first African American to conduct the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. The A. Jack Thomas papers contain manuscript scores and instrumental parts for three of his compositions for orchestra: Mirage, Scenes Pastoral, and Etude en Noir.
Overview Cousins Adam Itzel Jr. and John Itzel were conductors, arrangers, composers, and educators who studied and taught at the Peabody Conservatory in the late 19th century. The collection includes manuscript scores of light orchestral or operatic music arranged primarily by Adam Itzel Jr., as well as manuscript scores of some of his original compositions.
Overview Alinda Burnham Couper studied harmonic analysis with Nadia Boulanger and taught and composed music, becoming one of the pioneer composers of handbell music and developing a new technique called "four-in-hand." Couper remained friends with Boulanger and exchanged letters for years after studying with her. The Alinda B. Couper papers contain manuscripts and published scores composed by Couper, as well as her notes, composition journals, papers, and photos.
Overview A record producer, composer, pianist, critic, and educator, Cal Lampley taught at the Peabody Conservatory and Morgan State University for many years after working in the record industry. The Cal Lampley papers contain manuscript scores of his music and a small collection of concert programs and related papers.
Scope and Contents The collection contains manuscript letters and brief notes from Nadia Boulanger to her former student Charles Bleefield, including a letter of recommendation in 1947 and several brief greetings in the two decades that followed. Also included are invitations to two memorial services for Lili Boulanger and an Igor Stravinsky autograph.
Overview Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji was a renowned pianist and composer whose complex music is rarely performed. The collection contains published writings as well as photocopied scores of Sorabji's music for piano, chamber ensembles, orchestra, organ, and voice.
Overview Dawn Culbertson was an eclectic musician and composer based in Baltimore who experimented with the lute and recorder. Her papers contain original manuscript compositions, personal papers primarily from her student years, and recordings of her radio show, Exploring Early Music.
Scope and Contents Box 1 contains published scores and instructional material written by Agay, primarily for piano. Box 2 contains promotional materials and programs from Agay's career, and articles written by Agay.
Overview A Baltimore native and Johns Hopkins University graduate, Edwin Litchfield Turnbull composed, arranged, and conducted music for the Johns Hopkins Musical Association and other local ensembles. The Turnbull scores contain manuscript and published scores composed or arranged by Turnbull.
- Subject: Composers X
- Peabody Archives 28
- Special Collections 2
- Spelman, Timothy Mather, 1891-1970 2
- Agay, Denes 1
- Beal family (New York) 1
- Bishop, Henry R. (Henry Rowley), 1786-1855 1
- Bland, William, 1947- 1
- Bleefield, Charles 1
- Bornschein, Franz C. (Franz Carl), 1879-1948 1
- Boulanger, Nadia 1
- British and Foreign Institute (London, England) 1
- Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925 1
- Buckingham, James Silk, 1786-1855 1
- Bunner, H. C. (Henry Cuyler), 1855-1896 1
- Cervetti, Sergio 1
- Chrystal, William A. 1
- Cotel, Morris Moshe, 1943-2008 1
- Couper, Alinda B. 1
- Culbertson, Dawn 1
- Everett, Henry A., 1856-1917 1
- Everett, Leolyn Louise 1
- Grové, Stefans, 1922-2014 1
- Habermann, Michael 1
- Itzel, Adam, 1864-1893 1
- Itzel, John 1
- Jencks, Gardner, 1907-1989 1
- Jencks, Penelope 1
- Johns Hopkins University. Villa Spelman 1
- Kent, John 1
- Kim, Charles B. (Charles Byungkyu) 1
- Kissinger, Robin 1
- Kissinger-Virizlay, Lianna 1
- Lampley, Cal 1
- Lombard, Louis, 1861-1927 1
- Maryland Women's Symphony 1
- Massenet, Jules, 1842-1912 1
- O'Keefe, Bradshaw 1
- Padwa, Tom M. 1
- Padwa, Vladimir, 1900-1981 1
- Rosette, Marion 1
- Schillinger, Frances 1
- Schillinger, Joseph, 1895-1943 1
- Schwartzman, Karen 1
- Skirven, Hazel 1
- Sklarevski, Mary Sue 1
- Sorabji, Kaikhosru Shapurji, 1892-1988 1
- Sousa, John Philip, 1854-1932 1
- Spelman family (New York) 1
- Spelman, Josephine Pettengill, 1866-1937 1
- Spelman, Leolyn Louise Everett 1
- Stein, Pamela 1
- Thatcher, Howard R. (Howard Rutledge), 1878-1973 1
- Thomas, A. Jack, 1884-1962 1
- Traeger, Anne 1
- Turnbull, Edwin Litchfield 1
- Tyssowski, Millie 1
- Vazkén, Paul 1
- Virizlay, Mihály, 1931-2008 1
- Wilcox, Ella Wheeler, 1850-1919 1
- Willis, Frank D., 1950-1993 1
- Women Composers Orchestra (Baltimore, Md.) 1 ∧ less