Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Resources: 1 - 8 of 8

Archaeological Institute of America, Baltimore Society records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-070
Overview The Archaeological Institute of America, Baltimore Society was the first established, local chapter of the Archaeological Institute of America. The Baltimore Society was officially formed in 1888 by faculty of The Johns Hopkins University and other Baltimoreans who shared a scholarly interest in antiquities and classical studies. Though officially formed in 1888, minutes of the organization show that in 1886, an early iteration of the group was known as the Archaeological Society of The Johns...

Baltimore Naturalists Field Club records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-050
Overview The records of the Baltimore Naturalists Field Club indicate that Dr. Henry Newell Martin first proposed "the desirability of forming a Field Club for the Study of Natural History of the region around Baltimore" in April 1880. The original framework was to include a President, a Secretary and Chairs of Sections who were to organize the weekly excursions and report on these in the fields of Botany, Vertebrates (Land), Invertebrates (Land), Aquatic and Marine Life, and Physical Geography and...

Johns Hopkins University Metaphysical Club records

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030165330]
Identifier: RG-15-040
Overview The records of the Metaphysical Club of the Johns Hopkins University range in date from 1879 to 1885. They comprise one bound volume, which contains the club's constitution and by laws and the minutes of its monthly meetings.

Johns Hopkins University Philological Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-010
Overview On May 31, 1877, at the behest of President Daniel Coit Gilman, Basil Gildersleeve, the first full professor of the Johns Hopkins University, organized the Johns Hopkins Philological Association, for the purpose of "that mutual and informal interchange of opinion ... which is so confessedly essential to the development of the true scholar." The records of the Johns Hopkins Philological Association consist of five bound volumes documenting early seminars and meetings of the department, as well...

Scientific Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-020
Overview The Scientific Association of the Johns Hopkins University was originally organized by Professor Ira Remsen on October 24, 1877 "for the purpose of keeping those connected with one of the departments (then mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology) informed as to the work being done in kindred subjects." The records of the Scientific Association of the Johns Hopkins University comprise the minutes of the Society from its inception in October 1877, to October 1919, bound in one volume.

Student Organizations records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-001
Overview One of the first Hopkins student organizations, the Matriculate Society, was formed in 1883 to "foster the interests and promote the unity of the undergraduates." Since then, well over 150 student organizations have been established, most with similar goals; many have disbanded after a short period of time, while others have endured for as long as one hundred years. Types of records vary widely from organization to organization; many include membership lists, posters or announcements, while...

Tudor and Stuart Club records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-100
Overview The formation of the Tudor and Stuart Club was initiated by Sir William Osler and his wife, Lady Grace Osler. Their intention to provide an endowment for these activities was expressed in a letter to Johns Hopkins University President Frank J. Goodnow, dated October 30, 1918. Their endowment provided not only interest bearing securities for the book purchasing and other operations of the Club, it also contributed to their son Edward Revere Osler's personal book collection, about 800 volumes, as...

Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-130
Overview The collection spans 1950-2010. In 1930, Mrs. Mary Willard Berry, wife of Dean Edward Berry presided over the first organizational meeting of the "Women's Faculty Club," founded by request of President Joseph S. Ames to "promote social contacts among the members." Although the records of the Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University span the years 1939 to 1985, they consist primarily of minutes of the group's meetings from 1939 to 1980. There are also directories of club members and by-laws...

Filtered By

  • Subject: minutes (administrative records) X
  • Subject: Societies X

Filter Results

Additional filters:

Subject
Universities and colleges--Societies, etc. 5
Governance (university function) 4
Minutes (Records) 3
Research 3
Learned institutions and societies 2
∨ more  
Language
English 6
Undetermined 2
 
Names
Johns Hopkins University 4
Archaeological Institute of America 1
Archaeological Institute of America. Baltimore Society 1
Baltimore Museum of Art 1
Baltimore Naturalists Field Club 1