Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Engraved and illuminated marriage charter from Lyon, France
An illuminated and engraved marriage charter on parchment, created in Lyon, France in June 1623. Marriage charters contained a briefly worded declaration of marriage and were blessed by a priest and given by a groom to the bride as a part of their wedding ceremony.
Dates: 1623 June
Harry S. Dickey collection of Byroniana
Abstract Harry S. Dickey was a Baltimore business man and collector, who was born in 1891 and received his B.A. degree from The Johns Hopkins University in 1912. Dickey an admirer of the English poet, Lord Byron. This collection is composed of handwritten letters and poems relating to Byron, as well as published or printed sheet music, engravings, and article clippings. Notably, there are a few handwritten Oscar Wilde letters and poems, as Dickey was a collector of Wilde as well. The collection spans...
Dates: 1815-1959, 1981
Stipple engraved fan, depicting humorous characters in fable, "The Way of the World"
Collection — Container: 1
The item is a stipple engraved fan, printed with: "The Way of the World. A Tale" and depicts six humorous figures, representing "Report," "Hearsay," "SomeBody," "Every-Body," "No-Body," "Candour," with a descriptions beneath. The fan was published by Sarah Ashton of Little Britain, London, on January 1 1796, registered with Stationers' Company, the preeminnent London printing and publishing guild.
- Subject: engravings (prints) X
- engravings (prints) 2
- Book collectors 1
- British literature 1
- England--London 1
- Rare books 1
- Rare books--Collectors and collecting 1
- bibliographies 1
- clippings (information artifacts) 1
- fans (costume accessories) 1
- illumination (image-making process) 1
- letters (correspondence) 1
- marriage certificates 1
- poems 1
- sheet music 1
- stipple engravings (prints) 1 ∧ less
- English 2
- French 1
- Ashton, Sarah 1
- Broughton, John Cam Hobhouse, Baron, 1786-1869 1
- Byron, Anne Isabella Milbanke Byron, Baroness, 1792-1860 1
- Byron, George Gordon Byron, Baron, 1788-1824 1
- Dickey, Harry Stanley, 1891-1971 1