Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Resources: 1 - 8 of 8

Black Student Union records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-195
Overview The Johns Hopkins Black Student Union (BSU) was founded in April of 1968, shortly after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the riots which followed in Baltimore City. The club sponsors social events and lectures, participates in community service activities such as tutoring disadvantaged children, works to promote unity among African Americans, and works to improve the overall climate for African American students at Hopkins. The records of the Black Student Union span the years...

Gamma Alpha records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-060
Overview Gamma Alpha is a natural science fraternity for graduate students, the Hopkins chapter of which was active from the 1930s through the 1960s. The records of Gamma Alpha date from 1926 to 1967 and consist primarily of administrative records such as minutes, correspondence, financial records and membership lists, and records documenting social functions and initiation ceremonies.

Homewood Photography records

 Collection
Identifier: COLL-0011
Overview Johns Hopkins Homewood Photography is a full-service, on-campus resource for professional photography and photographic services, which provides editorial and news photography, portraits, and research photography for Johns Hopkins University clients on the Homewood campus and beyond. The Homewood Photography records contain 35mm and 120mm photographic negatives with the bulk dating from 1990 to 2004, and born-digital photographs dating from 2004 to 2010.

Hopkins Amateur Radio Club records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-155
Overview The Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) was founded prior to 1932, likely around 1927, although the exact date has not been established. In addition to allowing access to equipment for those interested in ham radio operation, the club allows foreign students free air time to call home. The records of the Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) span the years 1927 to 2016. The period from 1932 to 1956 include station log books. In addition to log books, this record group contains meeting records,...

Hopkins Science Fiction Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-230
Overview The history of the Hopkins Science Fiction Association (HopSFA) starts with the Amber Society, an informal club in the early 1970s. This club was made up of science fiction fans at Hopkins as well as from Baltimore, including famed science fiction writer Roger Zelazny. In 1974, the club was chartered by the University and became known as the Hopkins Science Fiction Association (HopSFA). In its early years, the organization concerned itself primarily with publication. The records range in date...

Pi Lambda Theta records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-105
Overview The Johns Hopkins chapter of Pi Lambda Theta was founded around 1926 by Florence Bamberger, the first woman promoted to the rank of full professor in the Department of Education at Hopkins. Although it began as a women's organization, Pi Lambda Theta began admitting men in 1974 following ratification of an amendment by the national organization's executive committee. Covering the period from 1925 to 1988, the records include membership and scholarship records, financial records, and minutes of...

Student Organizations records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-001
Overview One of the first Hopkins student organizations, the Matriculate Society, was formed in 1883 to "foster the interests and promote the unity of the undergraduates." Since then, well over 150 student organizations have been established, most with similar goals; many have disbanded after a short period of time, while others have endured for as long as one hundred years. Types of records vary widely from organization to organization; many include membership lists, posters or announcements, while...

The Liberal Club records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-14-110
Overview Founded in 1929 as a forum for the study of social problems, the Johns Hopkins University Liberal Club became a controversial and prominent political group among universities. The records of the Liberal Club cover the period 1929 to 1932 and are contained in four bound volumes of the Intercollegiate Conferences, which include not only lists of those who attended, but also newspaper clippings about the Club.