Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract The Archaeological Institute of America, Baltimore Society was the first established, local chapter of the Archaeological Institute of America. The Baltimore Society was officially formed in 1888 by faculty of The Johns Hopkins University and other Baltimoreans who shared a scholarly interest in antiquities and classical studies. Though officially formed in 1888, minutes of the organization show that in 1886, an early iteration of the group was known as the Archaeological Society of The...
Dates: 1885-1939, 1982-1985; Majority of material found within 1915 - 1935
Abstract The records of the Baltimore Naturalists Field Club indicate that Dr. Henry Newell Martin first proposed "the desirability of forming a Field Club for the Study of Natural History of the region around Baltimore" in April 1880. The original framework was to include a President, a Secretary and Chairs of Sections who were to organize the weekly excursions and report on these in the fields of Botany, Vertebrates (Land), Invertebrates (Land), Aquatic and Marine Life, and Physical Geography and...
Abstract On May 31, 1877, at the behest of President Daniel Coit Gilman, Basil Gildersleeve, the first full professor of the Johns Hopkins University, organized the Johns Hopkins Philological Association, for the purpose of "that mutual and informal interchange of opinion ... which is so confessedly essential to the development of the true scholar." The records of the Johns Hopkins Philological Association consist of five bound volumes documenting early seminars and meetings of the department, as...