Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
Abstract In 1857, philanthropist George Peabody gave the amount of $300,000 for the funding of a library in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. The construction of what was then known as the Library of the Peabody Institute (also the Peabody Institute Library) in Mount Vernon-Belvedere neighborhood began in 1858. Due to the difficulties of opening such a library during the Civil War (1861-1865), the building was not officially dedicated to the public until 1866 and 1878, the west wing and east wing,...
Dates: 1860-1980s; Majority of material found within 1860-1970
Found in: Special Collections
Abstract Records documenting activities of the Board of Trustees of the Peabody Institute. Includes: 12 volumes and several additional folders of recorded minutes of board meetings (1857-1985); Treasurer's reports (1867-1969); Provost's reports (1869-1912); Executive Secretary's reports (1912-45); miscellaneous general records and correspondence; records of the Offices of the President (1859-1970), Vice-President (1876-1905), Secretary (1860-1922), and Treasurer (1857-1941), the bulk of the latter...
Dates: Inclusive: 1832-1989; Majority of material found within Bulk: 1857-1985
Found in: Peabody Archives