Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Collection consists of one bound receipt book (1815-1823) and seven unattached receipts of a Maryland firm, Evans & Iglehart. The receipt book contains entries received by leading nineteenth century merchants in Baltimore and Annapolis, including the signature of Johns Hopkins, Baltimore merchant and founder of The Johns Hopkins University.
Flahavan & Willcox was a Philadelphia firm established for the import/export trade in 1784. The collection consists of one holographic letterbook of the company containing letters over the period April 14, 1784 to November 16, 1792.
Collection consists of a holographic manuscript (14 pages) of Francis T. King spanning the years 1826-1843, along with a typescript translation.
Frederic Chapin Lane was a professor of history at Johns Hopkins and a leading scholar of the Italian Renaissance. The papers span the years 1943-1984 during which he was teaching at Johns Hopkins and conducting extensive research for his writings on the history of Venice in the 14th and 15th centuries.
Johns Hopkins (1795-1873) was a highly successful Baltimore merchant and philanthropist. He left much of his wealth to found a university and hospital in Baltimore. This collection contains manuscripts, photographs and printed material by or about Johns Hopkins and his ancestors, 1743-2005.
John McGill was a lawyer in Urbana, Virginia (in Middlesex County), and flourished between 1827 and 1848. The collection consists of incoming letters, financial records, records of the William Shepherd estate, and J. Hopkins Brothers and Company records all ranging in date from 1827 to 1849. The bulk of the incoming letters are from Baltimore merchants.
John Weatherburn was born in the village of Kenton, England, April 23, 1750 and immigrated to the United States in 1772. The collection consists of a diary, letterbook, daybook, and two journals of Baltimore merchant, John Weatherburn ranging from 1766-1816.