Skip to main content

Oratorio Society of Baltimore programs and other material

 Collection
Identifier: PIMS-0126

  • Staff Only
  • No requestable containers

Scope and Contents

This collection contains materials related to the Oratorio Society of Baltimore, 1883-1913, including an incomplete run of concert programs, the 1884 president's report, and an 1896 large-format photograph of the ensemble.

Dates

  • Creation: 1883-1913

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for use at the Arthur Friedheim Library Archives of the Peabody Institute. Contact peabodyarchives@lists.jhu.edu for more information.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or perform materials in this collection must be submitted in writing to the archivist of the Arthur Friedheim Library.

Biographical / Historical

The history of the Oratorio Society of Baltimore is intricately linked to the Peabody Institute through the Society's music directors, members, and accompanists. The Oratorio Society was founded in 1880 by Baltimorean Otto Sutro (1833-1896). Sutro also founded the Wednesday Club, a music appreciation ensemble. The first performance of the Oratorio Society of Baltimore took place in 1882 in New York City at Theodore Thomas's May Festival.

The first music director was Fritz Fincke, a member of the Peabody Institute's voice faculty from 1879-1896. Asger Hamerik (1843-1923), second director of the Peabody Conservatory and faculty member from 1871-1898, also served as music director. In 1894, Joseph Pache, a student of Max Bruch, succeeded until approximately 1918. Pache also founded the Women's Philharmonic Chorus. Harold Randolph (1861-1927), the Oratorio Society's organist, succeeded Hamerik as the Peabody Conservatory director in 1898. Randolph studied piano at Peabody with Carl Faelten from 1882 to 1885 and was a member of the piano faculty from 1888 to 1898.

The Oratorio Society of Baltimore was the predecessor to the Handel Choir of Baltimore, which gave its first concert in 1934. The Handel Choir is an important part of Baltimore's musical life to this day.

Extent

0.25 Cubic Feet (1 legal half-size box; 1 oversize folder)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Oratorio Society of Baltimore was a musical ensemble from approximately 1882 to 1918. Its music directors and performers included many members of the Peabody Conservatory faculty, including Conservatory Directors Asger Hamerik and Harold Randolph. The Oratorio Society of Baltimore programs and other material, 1883-1913, contains an incomplete run of the society's concert programs, the 1884 president's report, an 1896 large-format photograph of the ensemble, and other ephemera.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

There is no known acquisition information for this collection.

Related Materials

Additional programs of the Oratorio Society of Baltimore from 1890 and 1891 can be found in the Aloysius Reidinger collection of Baltimore concert programs, PIMS.0086.

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Wertheimer in 2011, Grace Minghsuan Tsai in 2016, and Matt Testa in 2022.

Title
Guide to the Oratorio Society of Baltimore programs and other material
Author
Matt Testa
Date
2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Peabody Archives Repository

Contact:
Peabody Institute
1 E. Mount Vernon Place
Baltimore MD 21202 USA