Office of the Treasurer records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Office of the Treasurer range in date from 1875 to 1983. These records primarily consist of ledgers and financial publications of various types, other financial documentation, correspondence, and subject files.
- Office of the Treasurer (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
All collections are closed except to office of origin or original owner until processed. University records are closed for 25 years from the point of creation. These files contain student records, which are further subject to FERPA restrictions. These files contain personnel records, which are subject to further restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use note
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Francis White, a member of the original Board of Trustees, was the first treasurer of the Johns Hopkins University. He and one other person, his assistant, Charles J. Meyer, conducted all the financial business of the University. White directed the University's financial policy from his office in downtown Baltimore, while Meyer collected tuition and paid salaries. Meyer succeeded White as treasurer in 1901. The third treasurer was W. Graham Boyce, who took office in 1911 and served until 1931. S. Page Nelson succeeded Boyce. In 1934 Henry S. Baker, a member of the first graduating class of the School of Engineering, and former investment banker with Alex. Brown and Sons, became the fifth Hopkins treasurer. After 25 years of service Baker's title was changed to vice president for finance and treasurer. In 1964, Baker was succeeded by Bruce J. Partridge, who had been vice president for business and management at the University of Delaware. After his retirement as treasurer, Baker remained the University's investment officer, responsible for recommendations to the trustees' finance committee concerning investment policy and the purchase and sale of corporate securities, real estate, and mortgages. In 1966, when P. Stewart Macaulay retired from his position as executive vice president, the University administration was reorganized and Partridge assumed responsibility for personnel, grants and contracts, and government relations. His title also changed, to vice president for administration and treasurer. Partridge resigned his position in June 1969, in order to become president of the University of Victoria in British Columbia.
When Partridge left, the Board of Trustees split the positions of vice president for administration and treasurer. The treasurer was to be the advisor to the vice president for administration in all matters concerning the investment of University funds. All of the treasurer's duties relating to the routine management of the University's property and finances were given to the vice president for administration. As part of this reorganization, the Office of the Treasurer and the Office of the Controller were separated. George Stewart, who had been investment officer since September 1965, became the new treasurer. Stewart resigned at the end of 1979.
In February 1980, Robert C. Bowie, already vice president for financial and management systems, became vice president for finance and treasurer. However, direct control of the office was placed in the hands of the assistant treasurer, R. Riggs Griffith V, who was named associate treasurer and director of investments. In 1985 Bowie was promoted to the position of senior vice president for administration and Griffith was appointed treasurer, recreating the administrative structure of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Griffith resigned in August 1986, and Bowie served as treasurer pro tem until March of 1987, when Eugene Sunshine, a former state treasurer and deputy commissioner for tax policy analysis in New York, was appointed to the post. Sunshine remained treasurer until February 1988, when he succeeded Bowie as senior vice president for administration. He was followed in office by the assistant treasurer, William E. Snow, who had been manager of investments and insurance at COMSAT before coming to Hopkins in October 1987.
69.63 Cubic Feet (14 record center cartons, 39 letter size document boxes, 9 legal size document boxes, 1 legal half-size document box, 1 flat boxes (15.5 x 12 x 3 inches), 1 flat box (21 x 17 x 3.5 inches), 5 oversize boxes (19 x 13 x 6 inches), 10 oversize boxes (25 x 19 x 10 inches))
Language of Materials
Ronald E. Sapp, Vice President for Business Services, transferred seventy-three bound volumes of early accounting records. Dale C. Kirby, Assistant Director of Accounting Services, transferred and six cubic feet of Treasurer's Reports, 1908-1979. Mrs. Henry S. Baker, the former Treasurer's widow, donated Treasurer's Reports, Schedules of Securities, and some files which had belonged to her husband. Other Treasurer's Reports and Financial Statements came from Robert C. Bowie, Vice President and Treasurer, from Dale Kirby and from the Gilman Stacks. The material in series 15, 16, and 18 was discovered in Homewood Garage.
Includes accession numbers 1987.UA.010 and xxxx.UA.004
78.43, 79.5, 79.126, 79.127, 79.148, 83.4, 83.23, 90.18, 90.19, 90.21, 90.31
Processing Information note
Finding aid written by Wendell O'Brien and Brian Harrington.
Materials were arranged according to physical size and requirements.
- Office of the Treasurer (Organization)
- Office of the Treasurer records
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA