Johns Hopkins University Library Auxiliary Groups records
Scope and Contents
The Library Auxiliary Groups early records begin in 1879. This collection includes records of the Library Committee; Friends of the Library; and Library Staff Association. The records concerning the founding and early years of the Friends of the Library (1931-1941) are particularly complete and contain circular letters, announcements, correspondence, organization histories, membership lists and minutes.
- Creation: 1879-1992
- Johns Hopkins University. Sheridan Libraries (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
All collections are closed except to office of origin or original owner until processed. University records are closed for 25 years from the point of creation.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Biographical / Historical
The Records of the Library Auxiliary Groups began under the direction of Librarians A. W. Tyler (1877-1879) and William Hand Browne (1879-1891). Some of the activities recorded include the tenure of Nicholas Murray, the tradition of advanced study and research, a fire in McCoy Hall on September 17, 1908, re-cataloging and reclassification of the entire Library, and the move to the Homewood campus and Gilman Hall.
The Friends of the Johns Hopkins Library, founded in March 1931, helped to improve annual contributions to the Library, specifically for new acquisitions. The support of the Friends has continued to the present day. The late 1930s and early 1940s saw a return to a steadier rate of accessions and a marked increase in gifts and bequests. By 1941, in fact, when the Gilman facility was exactly twenty-five years old, Librarian John Calvin French (1927-1941) noted ominously in his Annual Report that "nearly every department is troubled by a lack of space." The Johns Hopkins Library then held a total of 535,308 volumes.
In 1958 Librarian John Berthel (1954-1973) reported that architects had been commissioned to study and compare two alternatives: (1) a full scale reconstruction of Gilman Hall, and (2) a new Library building, on a new site, which would incorporate and consolidate holdings that were then dispersed among eight different buildings. Although there was initially dissent from professors who preferred the self-contained arrangements of the library/laboratories in the sciences and the departmental libraries in Gilman, the Faculty Library Committee eventually approved the idea of a new building which would house the collections of the entire Homewood campus. Ground broke in 1962 and on November 15, 1964, the Milton S. Eisenhower Library was opened. On opening day it held 1,122,065 volumes, more than five times as many as Gilman on its opening day forty-eight years earlier.
5.65 Cubic Feet (3 record center cartons, 4 letter size document boxes, 2 letter half-size document boxes)
Language of Materials
The Library Auxiliary Groups early records begin in 1879. This collection includes records of the Library Committee; Friends of the Library; and Library Staff Association.
The records of the Library Auxiliary Groups are divided into 3 subgroups: Subgroup 1: Library Committee, 1879-1978 Subgroup 2: Friends of the Library, 1931-1992 Subgroup 3: Library Staff Association, 1977-1980
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Records of the Library have been transferred to the Archives from a variety of sources over a number of years: Librarian John Berthel – Library Committee Minutes, 1879 1908 (80.15) Library, Special Collections Department Library Committee Minutes, 1908-1927
Accession Numbers: 80.15
Records of this collection were formerly part of Record Group 03.010: Records of the Johns Hopkins University Library (divided into 13 sub-groups).
They have since been divided as such:
RG03.010: Johns Hopkins University Library Administrative Offices records
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 1: Office of the Director
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 3: Assistant Librarians
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 4: Library Personnel Office
RG03.011: Johns Hopkins University Library Auxiliary Groups records
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 2: Library Committee
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 5: Friends of the Library
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 10: Library Staff Association
RG03.012: Johns Hopkins University Library Special Collections records
-Comprises the entire former Sub-Group 6: Special COllections
RG03.013: Johns Hopkins University Library Acquisitions records
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 9: Acquisitions (now Additions)
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 7: Library Exchanges
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 8: Serials
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 12: Library Gifts Program
-Contains all of the former Sub-Group 11: Associate Director for Technical Services
RG03.014: Johns Hopkins University Library Resource Services Department records
-Comprises the entire former Sub-Group 13: Resource Services Department
RG03.015: Johns Hopkins University Library Support Services Department records
Finding aid created by Andrew Gelber, Katrina Tautz, Craig Passmore, Aravinda Pillalamarri, Charlene Mendoza, Kim E. Bettcher, Jennifer Rallo, Brian McFaddin, Evan Yost, Holly Callahan. Edited by James Stimpert, Kelly Spring and Jennifer Rallo.
- Johns Hopkins University Library Auxiliary Groups records
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA