Office of General Counsel records
- 1839 - 1997
- Majority of material found within 1882 - 1997
- Office of General Counsel (Corporate Entity)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
15.43 Cubic Feet (27 containers)
Biographical / Historical
On July 1, 1951, the law firm of Niles, Barton and Wilmer began providing legal services to the University on retainer, and Charles E. Quandt, who was originally with the Applied Physics Laboratory, served the University on behalf of the firm on a half-time basis. Niles, Barton and Wilmer subcontracted some types of legal services to other firms or attorneys; Walter Finch, for example, handled patent applications for the University. In 1973, Frederick T. DeKuyper, Labor Relations Officer, Personnel, began to practice law informally at the University and, the following year, Robert C. Bowie, Vice President for Business Management, requested that he prepare a management paper addressing the question: should the University form its own internal legal office or continue to use outside counsel? The administration decided to establish the Office of General Counsel due to the increased litigation in American society, the Federal Government's regulation of various aspects of the University's academic and non-academic activities, and the new and, at times, complex business and other relationships the University was entering into with outside parties.
In August 1975, Estelle A. Fishbein was appointed General Counsel, and Frederick T. DeKuyper was named Assistant General Counsel. In 1991, the position of General Counsel was elevated to the status of a vice presidency and Estelle Fishbein became Vice President and General Counsel.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA