English land indenture with three attachments
Scope and Contents
Rewritten from curator description:
This holding is a manuscript land indenture on parchment, with the primary parchment measuring 46.5 x 62 mm, in addition to three separate documents attached with a dependent loop. The wax seal is broken, but retained. The attachments delineate all arable lands, meadows, and pastures in the three portions of 27 acres of lands involved in the transaction: Parkfield, Middlefield, and Westfield. The indenture details the purchase of these lands in and around the village of Belton, County Rutland (known most recently as Belton-in-Rutland), by one Thomas Haselwood, Gentleman, from George Marson (also Marston), Yeomen, for the sum of 360. The parchment is dated October 1, 1614 (12th year of the reign of King James I), countersigned, sealed, and delivered. The payment was confirmed (the following January), all by 12 signatories on reverse.
Source: Earle Havens, Nancy H. Hall Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts, 2016 May 24
- Creation: 1614 October 1-1615 January
Conditions Governing Access
This collection requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
0.90 Cubic Feet (1 custom flat box (29.5 x 23.5 x 2.25 inches))
Language of Materials
This holding is a 17th century English land indenture on parchment, with the primary parchment measuring 46.5 x 62 mm, in addition to three separate documents attached with a dependent loop. The indenture details the purchase of the lands in and around the village of Belton, County Rutland (known today as Belton-in-Rutland). The parchment spans October 1, 1614 to January 1615.
Prior to being processed, this item was acquired in the early 1990s, framed, and hung on a wall in the Special Collections department until 2012, when the department relocated.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Colonel Lewis A. Beck, likely in the 1980s. It was accessioned in 1993 or 1994.
Processed by Jordon Steele, July-August 2015, with additional processing by Annie Tang in May 2016.
- English land indenture with three attachments
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA