J. Montgomery Gambrill papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains letters between Professor Gambrill and Johns Hopkins University affiliates such as Charles Andrews, Sidney Painter, Eric Goldman, and Isaiah Bowman. Further correspondence with H.S. Commager, A.M. Schlesinger, Merle Curti, and Charles and Mary Beard are also included. The collection also contains materials relating to educational policy, Maryland public schools, and the administration of The Johns Hopkins University, as well as papers related to his teaching career at the Columbia Teachers College at Columbia University. The materials in this collection date from 1794 to 1966.
- Creation: 1794-1966 and undated
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1910-1952
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Biographical / Historical
J. Montgomery Gambrill (1880-1953) was a Visiting Professor of History at Johns Hopkins University from 1942 to 1946. Prior to this he held teaching and administrative positions in the Maryland public school system, and, between 1913 and 1942, taught at Columbia Teachers College at Columbia University. He was the author and editor of many volumes on education and Maryland history.
9 Cubic Feet (11 containers: 10 record center boxes, 1 full-sized legal box)
Language of Materials
J. Montgomery Gambrill (1880-1953) was a historian and professor at Columbia University and Johns Hopkins University. This collection consists largely of typed and handwritten correspondence, subject files, and teaching files reagarding his research and administrative duties, from 1794 to 1966.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the university in October, 2009, by J. Montgomery Gambrill's grandson, Michael D. Clark.
Processed by Mallory Herberger in March 2018. File titles were copied from the creator. This collection was not organized by original order, and was arranged in series for better clarity.
- Andrews, Charles McLean, 1863-1943 (Person)
- Beard, Charles A. (Charles Austin), 1874-1948 (Person)
- Beard, Mary Ritter, 1876-1958 (Person)
- Bowman, Isaiah, 1878-1950 (Person)
- Commager, Henry Steele, 1902-1998 (Person)
- Curti, Merle (Merle Eugene), 1897-1996 (Person)
- Goldman, Eric Frederick, 1915-1989 (Person)
- Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis), 1880-1956 (Person)
- Painter, Sidney, 1902-1960 (Person)
- Schlesinger, Arthur M., Jr. (Arthur Meier), 1917-2007 (Person)
- Van Noppen, Ina Woestemeyer, 1906-1980 (Person)
- Appelton-Century-Crofts (Organization)
- Columbia University. Teachers College (Organization)
- Johns Hopkins University (Organization)
- Smith College (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Guide to the J. Montgomery Gambrill Papers
- Mallory Herberger
- March 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA