Skip to main content

Janney family papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-0572
The Janney family papers include correspondence, photographs, marriage certificates, photocopies of family trees, and travel diaries. The collection spans the 19th and 20th centuries.

Dates

  • 19th and 20th century

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

1.1 Cubic Feet (1 letter size document box, 1 legal size document box, 1 letter size half document box, 1 over-sized folder)

Biographical / Historical

The Janney family originally came from Cheshire, England. Abel Janney, born 1671, married Elizabeth Stacy in Trenton, Burlington County, NJ, the daughter of Mahlon and Elizabeth (Ely) Stacy. Beginning about 1740, a group of families, primarily Quakers, from Bucks County, PA, began to settle in what was originally Prince William County, Virginia. One of the first to migrate was Amos Janney, a Quaker surveyor from Bucks Co, PA, who emigrated in 1732 to Virginia to survey land for Lord Fairfax. Amos acquired 400 acres of land (in lieu of a surveying fee) that was part of a 703 acre survey. Francis Hague, his brother-in-law, bought the remaining 303 acres. The south fork of the Catoctin runs through Janney’s original property that sat about 10 miles south of the Potomac across from Old Monocacy in Maryland. The Quaker community grew and the village was located between the original Janney and Hague tracts. The Friends met in the settlers' homes before the first Meeting House of Fairfax Meeting was constructed in 1743. Jacob Janney settled about 8 miles from Janney's Mill and another community was established that included a second Friends Meeting, Goose Creek. Hannah Janney, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Jones) Janney and mother of Johns Hopkins (1795-1873), belonged to the Fairfax Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends in Virginia, and Samuel Hopkins journeyed from Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to Virginia to court Hannah. They married around 1792 and took up residence on the Hopkins homestead known as Whitehall, in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Hannah bore eleven children between 1793 and 1811, and the second of the eleven was Johns Hopkins, founder of a university and hospital bearing his name. Hannah was a literate and scholarly woman, able to quote long passages from Homer’s Iliad. When her elder children were forced to leave school after the family freed their slaves in 1807, she furthered their education to the best of her ability. She has been described as a “woman of superior intellect and will and one of the guiding spirits of the Baltimore yearly meeting of Friends.” After the death of Samuel Hopkins in 1814, Hannah apparently lived in Baltimore in housing provided by her son, Johns. Hannah died in 1864. Source: Finding aid prepared by Kara Flynn, Haverford College, http://library.haverford.edu/file-id-1854 (Accessed May 16, 2017). Source: Frank Snowden Hopkins, My Hopkins and Snowden Ancestors (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University, 1976), pp. 12-13.

Scope and Contents

The Janney family papers include correspondence, photographs, marriage certificates, photocopies of family trees, and travel diaries. The collection spans the 19th and 20th centuries.

Custodial History

The papers were donated by Betsy Baker in August 2011.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated by Betsy Baker in August 2011. Later additions to this collection were likely donated in 2012 or 2013.

Accruals

2016-17.MS.045 (now Box 3 of this collection)

Processing Information

Processed by Archives staff, 2011-2017.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA