Skip to main content

Phoenix Shot Tower photograph

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-0543

Scope and Contents

5x7 inch photograph of Baltimore's shot tower. Matted on 8x10 inch card stock. Appears to be hand tinted. Reads "Emery-Read" in the lower right corner.

Dates

  • circa 1940

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Biographical / Historical

The Phoenix Shot Tower, also known as the Old Baltimore Shot Tower, is a red brick shot tower, 234.25 feet (71.40 m) tall, located near the downtown, Jonestown (also known later as Old Town), and Little Italy communities of East Baltimore, in Maryland. When it was completed in 1828 it was the tallest structure in the United States. The tower was originally known as the "Phoenix Shot Tower", then the "Merchants' Shot Tower", and is also sometimes called the "Old Baltimore Shot Tower". It was designated a National Historic Landmark on November 11, 1971.

Extent

0.167 Cubic Feet (1 photograph)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

5x7 inch photograph of Baltimore's shot tower. Matted on 8x10 inch card stock. Appears to be hand tinted. Reads "Emery-Read" in the lower right corner.

Bibliography

Historical information adapted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Shot_Tower, accessed September 2015.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Kelly Spring on 9 September 10.

Title
Phoenix Shot Tower photograph
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA