Screenplays and publicity materials featuring African American actors
Scope and Contents
The collection contains vintage screenplays and publicity materials of movies that feature African American actors, dating from 1933 to 2004. Many of the screenplays include handwritten notes and were not necessarily the final version acted out in production. In contrast, the publicity materials include press books, press kits, and DVDs of the final film and television productions.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Special Collections department. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Due to the nature of this purchased collection, no biographical or historical information is available.
11.23 Cubic Feet (14 containers: 7 record center boxes, 3 letter size boxes, 2 flat boxes (20.5 x 1.5 x 14.5), 1 flat box (15.5 x 3 x 12), 1 legal size box)
Language of Materials
The collection contains screenplays and publicity materials of movies that feature African American actors, dating from 1933 to 2004.
The collection is divided into two series: Film and television screenplays and publicity materials. They have been ordered in alphabetical order by final release title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from George Robert Minkoff Inc. in 2004.
Processed by Bex Dansereau and Annie Tang in January 2018. Container list inventory and scope and content notes for each item derive from dealer descriptions. Former film title and final film title of movies have been included with relevant materials.
- Academy Awards (Motion pictures)
- African American motion picture actors and actresses
- African American motion picture producers and directors
- African Americans in the motion picture industry
- Anderson, Eddie, 1905-1977
- Belafonte, Harry, 1927-....
- Berry, Halle
- Blaxploitation films
- Cosby, Bill, 1937-....
- Dandridge, Dorothy, 1922-1965
- Davis, Sammy, Jr., 1925-1990
- Elder, Lonne
- Freeman, Morgan
- Goldberg, Whoopi, 1955-....
- Hines, Gregory
- Horne, Lena
- Lee, Spike
- Murphy, Eddie, 1961-....
- Poitier, Sidney
- Pryor, Richard, 1940-2005
- Robeson, Paul, 1898-1976
- Ross, Diana, 1944-....
- Smith, Will, 1968-....
- Washington, Denzel, 1954-....
- ephemera (general object genre)
- pressbooks (theatre manuals)
- promotional materials
- slides (photographs)
- Guide to the Screenplays and publicity materials featuring African American actors
- Annie Tang
- January 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA