Edward M. Greenway, Jr. Autograph collection
Scope and Contents
The collection spans the years 1737 to 1876 and consists of approximately 250 items of correspondence and some legal documents. The correspondents are primarily prominent lawyers, politicians, statesmen, and figures of the Revolutionary War from Maryland. In addition there is an album containing photographs of well-known 19th century British and German politicians, statesmen, clergy, and scholars.
Edward Greenway, Jr. collected the autographs in this collection. He appears to have been interested in military figures especially those serving in the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Politicians are also well-represented. As a Marylander himself Greenway concentrated on the signatures of Maryland military and political figures.
The signatures are largely letters although there are legal documents bearing the signatures Greenway wanted to collect. In collecting these autographs Greenway apparently had access to the papers of several Maryland political figures. Many of the letters were written to Robert Goodloe Harper, Samuel Smith, John S. Tyson, and John H. Eaton.
- Greenway, Edward M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Biographical / Historical
Edward McDonald Greenway, Jr. was born in New York in 1820. After graduating from Princeton College, Greenway established the banking-house of Greenway & Co in Baltimore, later named McKim & Co. After retiring from business, he visited Rio de Janeiro, the Island of Madeira, Portugal, Spain and made several tours of Europe. Greenway collected books and autographs for a private library kept in Baltimore. Edward McDonald Greenway, Jr. died March 5, 1895.
1.94 Cubic Feet (3 legal size document boxes, 1 custom box (23.25 x 19.25 x 2 inches), 1 over-sized folder)
Language of Materials
Edward McDonald Greenway, Jr. was born in New York in 1820. The collection spans the years 1737 to 1876 and consists of approximately 250 items of correspondence and some legal documents. The correspondents are primarily prominent lawyers, politicians, statesmen, and figures of the Revolutionary War from Maryland.
The autographs have been organized alphabetically by the writer's name.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was acquired by Edward M. Greenway, Jr., Baltimore scholar and collector of autographs and manuscripts. After his death the collection was given to Johns Hopkins University by his widow, per letter from Grace Brown Greenway to Daniel C. Gilman, dated November 29, 1895.
This is no known processing information for this collection.
- Adams, John, 1735-1826
- Astor, John Jacob, 1763-1848
- Bancroft, George, 1800-1891
- Biddle, Nicholas, 1750-1778
- Boudinot, Elias, 1740-1821
- Butler, Pierce, 1744-1822
- Carroll, Charles, 1723-1783
- Carroll, John Lee, 1830-1911
- Cass, Lewis, 1782-1866
- Cheves, Langdon, 1776-1857
- Crawford, William Harris, 1772-1834
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889
- Donelson, Andrew Jackson, 1799-1871
- Drayton, William, 1776-1846
- Eaton, John Henry, 1790-1856
- Everett, Edward, 1794-1865
- Forsyth, John, 1780-1841
- Gallatin, Albert, 1761-1849
- Gilmor, Robert, 1748-1822
- Green, Duff, 1791-1875
- Greenway, Edward M.
- Hampton, Wade, 1752-1835
- Harper, Robert Goodloe, 1765-1825
- Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841
- Henry, Patrick, 1736-1799
- Howard, John Eager, 1752-1827
- Howells, William Dean, 1837-1920
- Ingersoll, Charles Jared, 1782-1862
- Ingham, Samuel D.
- Johnson, Reverdy, Jr.
- Johnson, Reverdy, Sr.
- Johnson, Richard M. (Richard Mentor), 1780-1850
- Kennedy, John Pendleton, 1795-1870
- King, William, 1663-1712
- Latrobe, John H. B. (John Hazlehurst Boneval), 1803-1891
- Livingston, Edward, 1764-1836
- Marshall, John, 1755-1835
- Mason, John Young, 1806-1873
- Maury, Matthew Fontaine, 1806-1873
- Maxcy, Virgil, 1785-1844
- McLane, Louis, 1786-1857
- Morris, Robert, 1734-1806
- Peabody, George, 1795-1869
- Pierce, Franklin, 1804-1869
- Poinsett, Joel Roberts, 1779-1851
- Ringgold, Tench
- Rush, Benjamin, 1746-1813
- Rush, Richard, 1780-1859
- Silliman, Benjamin, 1779-1864
- Smith, Samuel, 1720-1776
- Southard, Samuel L. (Samuel Lewis), 1787-1842
- Spencer, Jerivs C.
- Stanton, Edward M.
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874
- Taney, Roger Brooke, 1777-1864
- Tyler, John
- Tyson, John S., 1797-1864
- United States
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862
- Wallis, S. Teackle (Severn Teackle), 1816-1894
- Webster, Daniel, 1782-1852
- Wirt, William, 1772-1834
- Wise, Henry A. (Henry Alexander), 1806-1876
- Woodbury, Levi, 1789-1851
- Edward M. Greenway, Jr. Autograph collection
- Under Revision
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA