Confiscations of Loyalists' Holdings documents
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
0.32 Cubic Feet (1 flat box (15.5 x 12 x 3 inches))
In 1780, the public debt in Maryland had risen to $23,700,000, an amount impossible to raise by taxation. Petitions were received in the Maryland Assembly from all parts of the state urging the adoption of a law allowing for the legal seizure of property owned by the loyalists. Among the legislators who strongly opposed the bill were Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1732-1832), Matthew Tilghman, William Hindman (1743-1822), and Joseph Sim. Advocates for the bill included T. B. Worthington, Richard Barnes, and Upton Sheredine.
A bill for the confiscation of British property was passed by both Houses of the Maryland Legislature in October 1780. Another Act was passed appointing William Paca (1740-1799), Uriah Forrest, and Clement Hollyday "Commissioners to preserve confiscated British property," and all property belonging to persons outlawed for treason. Various other Acts were passed for the sale of confiscated British property, and one to continue the "treble tax" on non-jurors or those who refused "to take the oath or affirmation required by the Act for the better security of the government."
Scope and Contents
Location and descriptions of confiscated properties are given in the petitions, and they are largely listed in chronological order. The inquiries were addressed to Randolph B. Latimer, agent for the State of Maryland, and to John Eager Howard, governor. If a property was sold or if there was a question relating to the legality of confiscation, that information is noted.
- Maryland. General Assembly. Proceedings of the two Houses of Assembly of the state of Maryland, on the subject of confiscation of British property. [microform] Annapolis: Printed by Frederick Green, printer to the state . (Micro-fiche C no. 1240 Evans 16830)
- Scharf, J. Thomas. History of Maryland. Vol. II. Hatboro, Pennsylvania: Tradition Press, 1967. (F 181 .S 31 1967)
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA