Skip to main content

Grafflin cashbook

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030170801]
Identifier: MS-0327
The collection consists of one, bound, holographic cashbook which contains financial entries, July 1, 1910 to May 2, 1918, largely for Grafflin Family members. The accounts of Anne L. Grafflin, W. H. Grafflin, J. C. Grafflin, and G. W. Grafflin are recorded. Apparently, business interests of the Buck Family were closely connected to the Grafflins. Accounts of Mary R. Buck, George G. Buck, Lawrence M. Buck and the Buck Glass Co. are included in the cashbook. Other persons and businesses are represented as well.

Office expenses are recorded along with income and expenses of rental properties, salaries, mortgage payments, and interest from stocks. Personal expenses for club and association fees, department store purchases, and charitable gifts are entered.

Dates

  • 1910-1918

Creator

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

1.25 Cubic Feet (1 oversize box (19 x 19 x 6 inches))

Biographical Note

Members of the Grafflin Family of Baltimore City were the owners of several businesses during the period 1910-1918. George W. Grafflin had a lumber business; John C. Grafflin manufactured bags; and William H. Grafflin sold fertilizers. William H. Grafflin also served as vice-president of the Buck Glass Company of which George G. Buck was president. When Baltimore's subscription library, the Mercantile Library, failed in the 1880s, William H. Grafflin was a contributor to a fund [1886-] organized by Daniel Coit Gilman to purchase the collections of the library.

Provenance

The collection was transferred from the University Archives.

Processing Information

Finidng aid prepared by Joan Grattan in May 1992.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA