National Lanier Centennial Committee papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of the correspondence of Elinor Pillsbury recruiting members of the National Lanier Centennial Committee, dating from 1939 through 1945. There are also some photographs of Lanier, and printed material about the celebration, which was held at Johns Hopkins University. There is also information on the New York University Hall of Fame to which the Committee worked to have Lanier elected.
- Creation: 1939 - 1945
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.
This collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
The committee was formed in 1940 to celebrate the centenary of poet Sidney Lanier's birth, February 3, 1842. It was formed and chaired by Elinor Pillsbury (1898-1987), staff member of "The Journal," in Portland, Oregon.
0.38 Cubic Feet (1 letter size document box)
Language of Materials
A committee was formed in 1940 to celebrate the centenary of poet Sidney Lanier's birth, February 3, 1842. The collection consists of the correspondence of Elinor Pillsbury recruiting members of the National Lanier Centennial Committee, dating from 1939 through 1945.
The records were purchased in 1990.
This is no known processing information for this collection.
- Lanier, Sidney, 1842-1881 (Person)
- Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis), 1880-1956 (Person)
- Freeman, Douglas Southall, 1886-1953 (Person)
- French, John Calvin, 1875- (Person)
- Allen, Florence Ellinwood, 1884-1966 (Person)
- Beebe, William, 1877-1962 (Person)
- Burt, Maxwell Struthers, 1882-1954 (Person)
- Hansen, Harry, 1884-1977 (Person)
- Lanier, Henry Wysham, 1873- (Person)
- Lorenz, Lincoln, 1895- (Person)
- Masters, Edgar Lee, 1868-1950 (Person)
- Orr, Oliver (Person)
- Phelps, William Lyon, 1865-1943 (Person)
- Pillsbury, Elinor M. (Person)
- Short, John Saulsbury (Person)
- Untermeyer, Louis, 1885-1977 (Person)
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 (Person)
- Woollcott, Alexander, 1887-1943 (Person)
- National Lanier Centennial Committee papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA