Harriet L. Lagowitz autograph albums
Scope and Contents
The collection is formed by two, bound autograph albums and approximately 80 envelopes spanning 1877-1890. The albums are numbered II and III, but there is no indication of the whereabouts of I. Each album contains about 50 signatures, mostly theatrical people. Along with the albums are 80 envelopes, many imprinted with the theater address. The albums offer a representative sampling of American actors and actresses of the nineteenth century.
Some signatures are written on the album pages. The majority of the signatures are written on individual papers and pasted into the albums. Most of the autographs appear to have been received as a result of Lagowitz's written requests. In some cases, the actor or actress wrote a letter in response to these requests. Several letters are included in the albums, and Lagowitz retained the envelopes in which they were received as part of her collection. The return addresses on many of the envelopes indicate theaters or theatrical companies. Holographic notes on the envelopes list the sender and, occasionally, the date. Not every envelope corresponds to a autograph in the albums. Originally, there were probably three albums which would account for the disparity in autographs and envelopes. In 1886, Elizabeth Ponisi wrote: "A performance is to the rose, so is good nature to the lovely." Other autographs contained in the album include Edwin Booth, Mark Twain, George H. Broker, Creston Clarke, George Clarke, William H. Crane, Harry Edwards, Rose Eytinge, John Gilbert, Barton Hill, Bronson Howard, Lawrence Hutton, Stuart Robson, Maria Pray Williams, and William Winter.
- Creation: 1877-1890
- Lagowitz, Harriet L., 1877-1890 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.
This collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Harriet L. Lagowitz was a resident of New York city in the late nineteenth century. Apparently, Lagowitz was an admirer of persons on the stage during the period when theatre companies flourished in America.
0.167 Cubic Feet (2 autograph albums, 80 envelopes)
Language of Materials
Harriet L. Lagowitz was a resident of New York city in the late nineteenth century. The collection (1877-1890) is formed by two autograph albums and approximately 80 envelopes containing the autographs of theater and stage performers.
The collection was a gift of Mrs. Wardlow Miles to Dr. Charles Anderson. The Miles and Anderson families were friends of Frieda Thies, a curator of manuscripts at The Johns Hopkins University. Most likely, it was through this association that the albums became part of the Manuscript Department's collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
There is no known acquisition information for this collection.
Finding aid prepared by Joan Grattan in June 1990.
Liz Beckman revised the Biographical note, Scope and Content note, and Custodial History in this finding aid in December 2023 to bring them into compliance with Johns Hopkins guidelines for inclusive and conscientious description (2023). The previous version of the finding aid is available upon request.
- Lagowitz, Harriet L., 1877-1890 (Person)
- Booth, Edwin, 1833-1893 (Person)
- Broker, George H., 1890- (Person)
- Clarke, Creston, 1865-1910 (Person)
- Clarke, George, 1840-1906 (Person)
- Crane, William H., 1845-1928 (Person)
- Edwards, Harry, 1824 or 1825-1891 (Person)
- Eytinge, Rose, 1834 or 1835-1911 (Person)
- Fisher, Clara, 1811-1898 (Person)
- Gilbert, John, 1810-1889 (Person)
- Howard, Bronson, 1842-1908 (Person)
- Hutton, Laurence, 1843-1904 (Person)
- Le Moyne, Wm. J. (William J.), 1831-1905 (Person)
- Levick, Milnes, -1897 (Person)
- Mackay, F. F. (Frank Findley), 1832-1923 (Person)
- Mansfield, Richard, 1857-1907 (Person)
- McVicker, James Hubert, 1822-1896 (Person)
- Mitchell, Maggie, 1837-1918 (Person)
- Robson, Stuart, 1836-1903 (Person)
- Salvini, Tommaso, 1829-1915 (Person)
- Skinner, Otis, 1858-1942 (Person)
- Sothern, E. H. (Edward Hugh), 1859-1933 (Person)
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910 (Person)
- Williams, Barney, 1824-1876 (Person)
- Winter, William, 1836-1917 (Person)
- Harriet L. Lagowitz autograph albums
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA