Skip to main content

Evans and Iglehart receipt book

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030051670]
Identifier: MS-0164
Collection consists of one bound receipt book (1815-1823) and seven unattached receipts of a Maryland firm, Evans & Iglehart. The receipt book contains entries received by leading nineteenth century merchants in Baltimore and Annapolis, including the signature of Johns Hopkins, Baltimore merchant and founder of The Johns Hopkins University.

Dates

  • 1815-1823

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.

This collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

0.167 Cubic Feet (1 volume)

Administrative History

The cities of Annapolis (Md.) and Baltimore (Md.) were centers of mercantile opportunity during the late 17th and the 18th centuries. Access to the Chesapeake Bay allowed the Baltimore and Annapolis areas to develop as leading seaports for a flourishing import and export trade. The city of Baltimore grew particularly rapidly after the Revolutionary War and became established as an place of commercial importance. Articles arrived from Europe, China, and the West Indies as well as from other parts of the United States. Commercial interests were well served by a rising class of merchants and business people. A problem common in many business ventures is the collection of monies owed. It is likely that the firm known as Evans & Iglehart was charged with collecting debts owed to some of the leading merchants and storekeepers in Baltimore and Annapolis during the early nineteenth century. The firm's receipt book shows that Evans & Iglehart were actively involved in business, 1815-1823. Other information has not been found.

Scope and Contents

The receipt book (1815-1823) which forms this collection is one bound volume (approximately 75 pages) and seven pages of unattached receipts inserted in the volume. The volume contains holographic entries listing amounts received of Evans & Iglehart by leading nineteenth century merchants in Baltimore and Annapolis. Most often, the entries indicate the sum is paid to an account on behalf of someone other than Evans & Iglehart. Apparently, Evans & Iglehart acted as collection agents to settle over-due accounts.

An entry of April 10, 1821 indicates that O.W. Eichelberger of Baltimore received $374.66 from Evans & Iglehart for an account of Macdonald & Ridgely. The receipt book is particularly interesting because it contains signatures of Johns Hopkins, Baltimore merchant and founder of Johns Hopkins University. The signature of Gerard T. Hopkins, uncle of Johns, is also included.

Signatures of Annapolis merchants include T & B Harrison, R. Ridgely, Marcus Dennison, and J. Smith. John Wilmot, the Athenian Society, John Gregg & Co., and Henry Myers are among the signatures from Baltimore.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The receipt book of Evans & Iglehart was purchased by The Johns Hopkins University, August 26, 1942.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Joan Grattan in May 1990.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA