Don Cameron Allen author letter collection
- Allen, Don Cameron, 1903-1972 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
0.24 Cubic Feet (1 legal half-size document box)
Allen was the author of more than 20 books and 100 articles, most dealing with 16th and 17th century literature. He knew not only Latin, Greek, Hebrew and French, but was an expert in the entire range of Renaissance learning from astrology to scriptural exegesis. His books fell into two major groups, the first dealing with the history of ideas as they bear on literature itself and this group is represented by Harmonious Vision, a study of Milton.
At Johns Hopkins University Allen helped to edit English Literary History, the well known scholarly journal, and was an active teacher, researcher and writer. His study of American Ph.D programs in English Literature, the Allen Report, commissioned in 1968 by the Modern Language Association of America, received wide attention from graduate schools. He held the Sir William Osler Chair of English Literature at Johns Hopkins University until his retirement in June 1972.
Allen received many scholarly awards and honors, among which was his election in 1970 to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 1961 he was one of 12 professors of literature to be elected to the American Philosophical Society. He also served as Vice President of the Modern Language Association of America. He received honorary degrees from the University of Illinois, the University of Chicago, and Johns Hopkins University. Don Cameron Allen died at his home in Baltimore on August 4, 1972.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Allen, Don Cameron, 1903-1972
- Auden, W. H. (Wystan Hugh), 1907-1973
- Blackmur, R. P. (Richard P.), 1904-1965
- Bonnefoy, Yves
- College teachers
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- De la Mare, Walter, 1873-1956
- Eberhart, Richard, 1904-2005
- English literature
- Holmes, John, 1943-
- Jarrell, Randall, 1914-1965
- Johns Hopkins University. Department of English
- MacLeish, Archibald, 1892-1982
- Moore, Marianne, 1887-1972
- Pearce, Roy Harvey
- Ransom, John Crowe, 1888-1974
- Sarton, May, 1912-1995
- United States
- Van Doren, Mark, 1894-1972
- Warren, Robert Penn, 1905-1989
- Wilbur, Richard, 1921-2017
- Winters, Yvor, 1900-1968
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA