Carlyle Barton Laboratory technical reports
- Carlyle Barton Laboratory (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
1.25 Cubic Feet (1 record center box)
Biographical / Historical
In its earliest inception, this research arm was known as the Radiation Laboratory and was located on nearby 1315 St. Paul Street until 1962, when it moved to the Homewood Campus in the newly minted building of Barton Hall. The agency was renamed the Carlyle Barton Laboratory in honor of the former chairman of the university's Board of Trustees and its new location. The early research of the unit evolved from World War II research and development, including for example, proximity fuzes for surface based anti-aircraft artillery. The Laboratory focused on four major areas of research for the Air Force: electronic countermeasures, millimeter wave techniques, signal analysis, and physical research. The agency employed 80 to 90 staff members at one time and conducted classified and unclassified research. The Laboratory closed in 1970 and the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the very academic unit which provided research scientists for the agency, took over the space.
M. Cohn, abstract to "The Radiation Lab of Johns Hopkins University and Memories of Don King" (presentation presented at the International Microwave Symposium, June 7, 2011) accessed on June 29, 2017, https://www.library.caltech.edu/eds/detail?db=edseee&an=edseee.5973332&isbn=edseee.IEEEConferenc
Johns Hopkins University, Office of Public Relations, "Cornerstone To Be Laid for New Hopkins Laboratory", Press release (November 1, 1961).
Fred Radmussen, "Ferdinand Hamburger Jr., professor" The Baltimore Sun, February 10, 1994, accessed June 30, 2017, http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-02-10/news/1994041015_1_johns-hopkins-university-engineering-at-johns-hamburger.
Phil Sneiderman, "Renovated 'Radiation Lab' Lobby Will HonorJulian Sinclair Smith", Headlines@Hopkins News Release, (May 1, 1996). Accessed June 29, 2017, http://pages.jh.edu/news_info/news/home96/may96/lobby.html.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA