Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University records
- Woman's Club (Johns Hopkins University) (Corporate Entity)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
3.12 Cubic Feet (2 record center cartons, 1 letter size document box, 1 legal half-size document box, 1 legal full-size document box)
Biographical / Historical
Following Mary Berry's death in 1939, members voted to change the name of the Club to "The Mary Willard Berry Club of The Johns Hopkins University." At the first annual meeting of the Club in 1941, by-laws were officially adopted. In January 1942, a Red Cross group was formed to help with the war effort and this group met once a week until December 1945, by which time ninety-four members had served. Also during this period, members of the Club served as air raid wardens, hospital laboratory technicians, nurses aides and grey ladies. In 1944, minor changes were made to the by-laws, and Dean Berry gave the Club a silver coffee urn that had belonged to Mary Berry, beginning the Club's silver collection.
Membership in the Club was extended to include the wives of Medical School faculty in 1948. When President Isaiah Bowman retired in 1948, and the Club gave Mrs. Bowman a Revere silver bowl to honor her contributions to the Club. At the annual meeting in April 1951, the name of the Club was changed again, this time to "The Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University," and new by-laws were adopted. Also in 1951, a Club seal was designed, bearing the insignia of the University and the words, "The Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University Founded by Mary Willard Berry." Upon President Detlev W. Bronk's resignation, the Club gave Mrs. Bronk a silver bowl. In 1964, the Club helped organize "The Graduate Student Wives Association." The Club celebrated its fiftieth anniversary in 1980 with a party honoring all past and current members of the Club.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- College teachers' spouses
- Files (document groupings)
- Governance (university function)
- Johns Hopkins University
- Minutes (Records)
- Politics and government
- Public service activities and groups
- Universities and colleges--Societies, etc.
- Women--Societies and clubs
- minutes (administrative records)
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA