Skip to main content

Tau Beta Pi Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-105
The Tau Beta Pi Association is the national engineering honor society. The records of the Maryland Alpha Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, a national engineering honor society, span the years 1919 to 1975.These records document the various activities Tau Beta Pi and reflect the relationship between the Maryland Chapter and the National Association, particularly since 1950.

Dates

  • 1919 - 2010

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

17.19 Cubic Feet (3 letter size document boxes, 4 large flat boxes (25 x 37 x 6.5 inches), 1 large flat box (19 x 25 x 6.5 inches), 1 custom box ( 20 x 30 x 1 inches))

Biographical / Historical

The Tau Beta Pi Association is the national engineering honor society. It was founded in 1885 at Lehigh University by Dr. Edward H. Williams for the purpose of recognizing superior scholarship and exemplary character in engineers. The Maryland Alpha Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, at The Johns Hopkins University, was formed in 1919 by Dr. Alexander G. Christie, Professor and then acting head of the Mechanical Engineering Department. Christie, himself a member of Tau Beta Pi in Wisconsin, put forward the proposal to create a Maryland chapter of Tau Beta Pi at a meeting of the entire senior class of the engineering school. His proposal was enthusiastically supported both by the engineering students at Hopkins and the national executive council of the Tau Beta Pi Association. After nearly two years of communication and organization with the national executive council, the charter of the Maryland Alpha Chapter was ratified by the national convention of the Tau Beta Pi Association on April 9, 1921.

Tau Beta Pi holds elections twice a year to elect to membership those students and alumni who have demonstrated their engineering ability as well as their appreciation of standards of character. Usually, engineering students whose academic standing is in the upper eighth of the junior class or the upper fifth of the senior class are eligible for membership. Within each chapter, Tau Beta Pi is administrated by a group of student officers elected by chapter members. The first group of Hopkins students to receive membership in the Maryland Alpha Chapter were eighteen engineering students selected from the Classes of 1920 and 1921. Since then, with the exception of during the Second World War, when all attention was directed toward war-related activities, Tau Beta Pi has been active in the engineering community of The Johns Hopkins University. Outstanding students continue to be honored with membership and the corresponding privileges of taking part in the activities of the association, such as the essay contest and the election of representatives to the national convention of the Tau Beta Pi Association.

Scope and Contents

The records of the Maryland Alpha Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, a national engineering honor society, span the years 1919 to 1975; prior to 1950, however, only a few records exist concerning the founding of the Alpha Chapter in 1919-1921, and its early development in the 1940s. These records document the various activities Tau Beta Pi and reflect the relationship between the Maryland Chapter and the National Association, particularly since 1950.

Arrangement

The record group is divided into four series: (1) Official Documents, 1919-1975; (2) Meeting Records, 1962-1975; (3) Correspondence, 1951-1975; (4) Essay Contests, 1958-1973; and (5) Plaques, 1991-2008.

Custodial History

These records were removed from Dr. Naddor's office in Maryland Hall after his death in 1987. The plaques formerly were displayed on a wall on Q-Level, MSE Library.

Accruals

Accession Number: 87.30

Processing Information

Processed by Yunlong Man and James Stimpert.

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA