Johns Hopkins University Philological Association records
- Johns Hopkins Philological Association (Corporate Entity)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
0.28 Cubic Feet (1 flat box (15.5 x 10.5 x 3 inches))
Biographical / Historical
Until his resignation in 1915, Dr. Gildersleeve had been the Association's only president, with Charles Lanman, Minton Warren, and Edward Spieker serving as secretaries. After 1915, however, elections were held annually for the offices of the President, Vice President and Secretary. The meetings themselves were held downtown through most of this period, in Hopkins Hall from 1877 to 1890, in the original Levering Hall from 1890 to 1894, then in the original McCoy Hall, finally moving to the Homewood campus in 1916.
On the death of a member the Association regularly resolved to send letters of appreciation to the families of the deceased. One occurrence of this was for Dr. Gildersleeve himself, who died in 1924 at the age of ninety two. These resolutions are included in full in the minutes.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA