Hopkins Amateur Radio Club records
Scope and Contents
The records of the Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) span the years 1927 to 2016. The period from 1932 to 1956 include station log books. These log books contain lists of contacts made over the ham radio, including dates, length of contact and person contacted. In addition to log books, this record group contains meeting records, correspondence, and publications. Aside from the log books, records include Student Activities Commission correspondence, correspondence with ham radio equipment companies, University correspondence concerning the relocation of HARC in the 1980s, and scrapbooks.
Dates
- 1927-2016
Creator
- Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
All student organization records received prior to 2017 are closed for 25 years from the date of creation to everyone except current members of the student organization, after which they are publicly available for access. Materials intended for public dissemination, such as publications, newsletters, and event flyers, are publicly available for access immediately once processed. If you are a member of this student organization and have questions about our access policy, please contact Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Biographical / Historical
The Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) was founded prior to 1932, likely around 1927, although the exact date has not been established. One of the club's founders was Dr. Ferdinand Hamburger. HARC is a ham radio club, with membership open to all Johns Hopkins University students. In addition to allowing access to equipment for those interested in ham radio operation, the club allows foreign students free air time to call home.
The club was initially located adjacent to the Gatehouse, which houses the Johns Hopkins University News-Letter, the student newspaper. In 1986, the Baltimore Museum of Art was given permission to erect a statue garden next to the Gatehouse, forcing the club to re-locate to the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) building.
Extent
1.4 Cubic Feet (2 letter size document boxes, 2 letter half-size document box, 1 flat box (20.5 x 1.5 x 14.5))
Language of Materials
English
Abstract
The Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) was founded prior to 1932, likely around 1927, although the exact date has not been established. In addition to allowing access to equipment for those interested in ham radio operation, the club allows foreign students free air time to call home. The records of the Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (HARC) span the years 1927 to 2016. The period from 1932 to 1956 include station log books. In addition to log books, this record group contains meeting records, correspondence, publications, and scrapbooks.
Arrangement
Files were initially arranged alphabetically by title, and chronologically within the same file title. Subsequent accruals do not adhere to this arrangement.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The initial files were transferred to the Archives by Chris Cooke, the 1988 Hopkins Radio Club President, with subsequent accruals going as far as 2016.
Accruals
Accession Number: 88.43, 1999-00.UA.028, 2015-16.MS.067
Processing Information
Processed by Crawford Keenan in or prior to 1994. Additional processing by Annie Tang in October 2017.
A legacy note states that a number of photographs of Club activities, mostly from the 1950s, have been removed from the record group and cataloged with other photographs. This is likely the University Photographs, Collection 0002, as there are a number of photographs regarding the Club in this holding.
Creator
- Hopkins Amateur Radio Club (Organization)
- Title
- Guide to the Hopkins Amateur Radio Club records
- Author
- Crawford Keenan, Annie Tang
- Date
- October 2017
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA
specialcollections@lists.jhu.edu