Johns Hopkins University. Department of German
- Existence: 1876 or 1880s-2006 - 2006
At the time of its founding in 1876, the Johns Hopkins University had no departments and languages were grouped together. In 1880, the Romance and Teutonic languages (including German) were separated. In 1888, German was separated from English to improve the German language instruction program. In 2006, the Department of German and the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures were combined and became the Department of German and Romance Languages and Literatures.
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
The records of the Department of German, spanning the years 1889-1917 and 1952-1987, consist of student, faculty, and administrative records, as well as a Festschrift for Harold Jantz, and four bound volumes of minutes of the Germanic Society. The record group is arranged in four series: (1) Seminar Minutes, 1889-1917; (2) Administrative Records, 1953-1984; (3) Faculty Records, 1952-1987; and (4) Student Records, 1959-1985.
Jesse Slingluff was a Baltimore attorney and an alumnus of Johns Hopkins University. The collection consists of one bound notebook containing a series of lecture notes on German literature. The lectures are not dated, but appear to correspond to a German literature course offered by the German Department at Hopkins during the 1920s.
Robert Bruce Toulston was a professor of German at Johns Hopkins University for thirty-seven years. Collection consists of condolences, notebooks and notes, bound plays (German, and English translations of Italian), and theater and concert programs from 1908-1953.