Skip to main content

School of Arts and Sciences. Department of Near Eastern Studies

 Corporate Entity

Dates

  • Existence: 1964-

The Department of Near Eastern Studies had its origin in the Semitic Seminary, which dates back to the founding of the University in 1876. The department became the Oriental Seminary in 1896. The department was again renamed in 1964 and became the Department of Near Eastern Studies.

Dr. Glenn M. Schwartz began teaching in the department in 1987 and was appointed chair in 2012.

Source: Finding aid for Deparment of Near Eastern Studies records Source: http://krieger.jhu.edu/near-east/wp-content/uploads/sites/73/2016/03/Cv_Schwartz_website.pdf

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Department of Near Eastern Studies records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-04-090
Scope and Contents The records of the Department of Near Eastern Studies range in date from 1878 to 1916 and 1948 to 1987. With the exception of student records, these records are primarily those of departmental chairs Delbert Hillers, Hans Goedicke, and Jerrold Cooper. The record group is divided into eight series: (1) Administrative Records, 1959-1987; (2) Delbert Hillers, 1968-1984; (3) Commemorative Events, 1968-1983; (4) Student Records, 1948-1985; (5) Hans Goedicke, 1978-1984; (6) Deans of Arts and...

Jon Park O'Donnell student papers

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030055598]
Identifier: MS-0390
Overview Jon Park O'Donnell (born 1931) was an alumnus of The Johns Hopkins University. The collection consists of student papers dating from 1956 from O'Donnell's graduate work with Johns Hopkins professor William Foxwell Albright (1891-1971).