George Peabody Library
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1857, philanthropist George Peabody gave the amount of $300,000 for the funding of a library in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. The construction of what was then known as the Library of the Peabody Institute (also the Peabody Institute Library) in Mount Vernon-Belvedere neighborhood began in 1858. Due to the difficulties of opening such a library during the Civil War (1861-1865), the building was not officially dedicated to the public until 1866 and 1878, the west wing and east wing,...
Dates: 1860-1980s; Majority of material found within 1860-1970
Abstract Records documenting the activities of the executive office of the Institute. Includes correspondence from prospective lecturers such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Fiske, and James Russell Lowell (1867-1913); correspondence concerning the library, including letters received from Abram Stevens Hewitt of Cooper Union, E. W. Blatchford of the Newberry Library, and Melvil Dewey; numerous letters from the Institute librarian, Philip R. Uhler, to the provost reporting library activities during the...
Dates: 1861 - 1916