School of Arts and Sciences. Department of German and Romance Languages and Literature
- Existence: 2006-
At the time of its founding in 1876, the Johns Hopkins University had no formal departments and languages were grouped together. In 1880, the Romance and Teutonic languages (including German) were separated. In 1888, German was separated from English to improve the German language instruction program. In 1984, the Department of Romance Languages was split into the Department of French and the Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies. In 2000, these departments were again united and became the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures. In 2006, the Department of German and the Department of Romance Languages and Literatures were combined and became the Department of German and Romance Languages and Literatures.
Dr. William Egginton joined the faculty in 2006 and became chair in 2016.
Source: http://grll.jhu.edu/history/ Source: Teri Robinson, Administrative Manager
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Department of German records
The records of the Department of German, spanning the years 1889-1917 and 1952-1987, consist of student, faculty, and administrative records, as well as a Festschrift for Harold Jantz, and four bound volumes of minutes of the Germanic Society. The record group is arranged in four series: (1) Seminar Minutes, 1889-1917; (2) Administrative Records, 1953-1984; (3) Faculty Records, 1952-1987; and (4) Student Records, 1959-1985.
Department of Romance Languages records
The Records of the Department of Romance Languages contain reports, student records, and correspondence.