Skip to main content

Daniel Garrison Brinton letter

 Collection — Box: 1 [31151030070852]
Identifier: MS-0536
Daniel Garrison Brinton (1837 – 1899) was an American archaeologist and ethnologist. Collection consists of one letter (undated) from Brinton to "P."

Dates

  • undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.

This collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

0.167 Cubic Feet (1 sheet)

Biographical / Historical

Daniel Garrison Brinton was born in Thornbury, Chester County, Pennsylvania, on May 13, 1837. He received his B.A. degree in 1858 from Yale University, where he developed literary and bibliophilic interests. He prepared for a career as a physician at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia (1858 - 1860; M.D., 1861) and, after a year of study at Heidelberg and Paris, he began practicing medicine in West Chester, a community located west of Philadelphia. Brinton served as assistant editor of the Medical and Surgical Reporter between 1867 and 1874,and as editor from 1874 to 1887.In 1887, at the age of fifty, he retired to devote himself to the study of anthropology.

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of a letter from Brinton to "P" thanking "P" and enclosing tickets (not found with letter). Dated January 28 - no year supplied.

Custodial History

The letter was tipped into a copy of Brinton's Rig Veda Americanus. When the worn 1890 edition, containing the letter, was replaced by the 1969 edition, the letter was removed.

Processing Information

Finding aid prepared by Kelly Spring on 13 May 2010.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA